Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Art Wall for MLK Day

On January 17, 2011, my fellow AmeriCorps at Habitat for Humanity in Charlotte and I will be doing a community day. This will take place at Turning Point Academy in Charlotte and is a joint effort between AmeriCorps, 5 area churches and temples, and Hands On Charlotte. There will be 150 volunteers at this event. We will be helping to create murals inside of the school, organizing storage rooms, painting furniture in the rooms and creating an outdoor classroom.

I am helping to head up an art wall that will be a part of the outdoor classroom. This wall will be 16 feet long and two sided. One side will be painted with chalk paint so that students can draw or write things in chalk, and the other will be made so that students can paint murals with oil based paints.

I have designed the wall already and sent in a list of materials to construct it. I will keep you all posted with details and photos on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment